Skip to Content

Why You’ll Never Swim in a Hotel Pool Again

La Crosse, WI, United States / Classic Rock 100.1
Why You'll Never Swim in a Hotel Pool Again

PHOTO SOURCE: PixaBay

SOURCE:  CDC

Summer time means vacations and quality time at the community pool. It also means sinking yourself neck-deep in some nastiness. How do we know? If you look at the Center for Disease Control Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, you’ll see that going into any form of water other than your own bathtub is a serious mistake.

According to their data compiled between 2000 and 2014, the CDC found that over 27,000 people had “gotten sick from treated recreational water” and eight people even croaked. Of these cases, the majority happened at the pools, spas, and hot tubs. Water parks also posed a risk. The culprit? Bacteria from other people’s running butts. Yeah…that.

Cryptosporidium is described as a “diarrhea-causing parasite that’s spread by ingesting water contaminated with poop.” Of the outbreaks, they say 58% of them were caused by that very parasite. That means facilities need to do more than just dump a little chlorine to keep their attractions clean and safe.

Not to feel left out, other bacteria was also found – buggies that cause Legionnaire’s Disease, ear infections, rashes and other grossness. BUT, they weren’t nearly as common as the booty-juice one. Just please remember to do your due diligence and make sure your local pool crews are doing their jobs before you decide to dive face first into it.

Source: CDC

Comments are closed.